Home Meals for Los Angeles Seniors during the COVID-19 Pandemic
What is the Senior Meal Emergency Response Program?
The Safer at Home Order issued by Mayor Garcetti on March 19, 2020, provided restrictions to prevent the spread of the virus and keep our most vulnerable populations safe in their residences. But without easy access to food, there has been a growing number of food-insecure seniors throughout Los Angeles, who are at higher risk for developing serious complications from a COVID-19 illness.
The hospitality and restaurant industries have also been hard hit by the crisis. The COVID-19 pandemic has brought travel to a standstill, causing massive job and revenue losses as hotel kitchens and restaurants are temporarily restricted from serving food in their premises. Both of these industries employ thousands of workers in L.A. across income levels and immigration statuses. These workers represent additional populations made vulnerable during this pandemic.
The Senior Meal Emergency Response Program supports both seniors and hard-hit hospitality and restaurant industries in the City of Los Angeles. The program provides home-delivered and healthy meals to seniors by partnering with Everytable, an L.A.-based social enterprise and restaurant chain, and the Hospitality Training Academy, an L.A.-based workforce development program founded in partnership with the labor union UNITE HERE Local 11. HTA trains low-income and marginalized communities in L.A. for careers in the hospitality industry.
Thank you for your interest in this program. Unfortunately, we have reached our capacity.
If you have any questions regarding the program, you may call (213) 263-5226 and a City staff member will assist you.
If you would like to provide feedback on the program, you can contact us by Clicking Here.
Thank you for your interest in this program. Unfortunately, we have reached our capacity, and will no longer be considering additional applications for the program.
ADDITIONAL FOOD AND GROCERIES RESOURCES
There are a variety of organizations that can help with grocery delivery for free
- LA Regional Food Bank: Runs a food bank network across the LA area. Call (323) 234-3030 for more information.
- Meals on Wheels: Delivers meals to seniors. Contact (213) 484-7775 between 8 AM and 4 PM or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Project Angel Food: Delivers meals to each client one day per week, Monday through Friday. Contact (323) 845 -1800 or email email@example.com
- Urban Partners LA: Provides food pickup only. Call (213) 401-1191 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP): A federally-funded program you may access by calling the State Hotline at 877-847-FOOD (3663). CalFresh helps California seniors 60+ buy healthy food at the grocery store. Individuals receiving CalFresh benefits will be able to order at-home delivery of groceries through their Electronic Benefits Transfer (EBT) card at Walmart and Amazon. However, the CalFresh benefits will only cover the cost of the food being ordered, not delivery.
- County Free Grocery Delivery Service: Items may be delivered 24 hours a day, seven days a week. There is no delivery cost to the client. No application process is required, but items must be pre-paid and ready for pickup.Deliveries may be scheduled by calling 1-888-863-7411 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. weekdays.
- Shop4Seniors: Pairs seniors with volunteer shopper/delivery service. Email email@example.com to submit a shopping list or volunteer to shop & deliver.
- Shopping Helpers LA: Pairs a college-aged volunteer with a senior or someone who is immunocompromised to take care of their grocery shopping needs — at no charge. Call 323-628-7071 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to request help.
- People4PeopleLA: Pairs volunteers with seniors to shop and deliver food, medicine and household supplies to elderly Angelenos and others who cannot leave their home during the pandemic. Call 707-390-0269 or email People4PeopleLA@gmail.com to make a request.
- Southeast Communities Corps - Provides food at the site at 2965 E. Gage, Huntington Park, CA 90255 on Mon, Weds, Fri - 9am-4pm. Call (323) 587-4221.
- San Fernando Valley Corps - Provides food at the site at 14917 Victory Boulevard, Van Nuys, CA 91411 on Mon, Weds, Fri - 9am-4pm, Tues & Thurs: 9-12pm. Call (818) 781-5739.
- EAST LA Corps - Provides food at the site at 140 N Eastman Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90063 on Mon, Weds, Fri - 9am-4pm. Call (323) 263-7577.
- LA Korean Corps - Provides food at the site at 933 S. Hoover Street, Los Angeles, CA 90006 on Mon, Weds, Fri - 9am-4pm.. Call (213) 480-0714, ext. 4